Being a homebody, I can’t really think of anything I detest doing.
When the kids attended school, one thing I hated doing was to make their lunches. One liked cheese, the other didn’t. One liked salami, the other didn’t. One liked mustard, and of course, the others didn’t. It finally got to the point, when they got older, I decided that they had to make their own lunches.
One thing about living out in the country, you don’t always have everything on hand. We used to be able to have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but now with the plague of allergies, that has come to a halt.
The thought just jumped out at me. I hate grocery shopping. Looking at every label to see what the product contains is time consuming, and I would much rather be doing anything else. I don’t like shopping if I’m hungry, because then everything I shouldn’t buy seems to end up in the basket. When it comes down to pay, I am horrified. Didn’t buy meat, so what cost so much.
I usually wait until I’m out of almost everything before I finally make my way out the door. It wasn’t always like that. I used to love shopping for groceries, clothes, and all the other things one thinks they absolutely require. Now it’s plain drudgery.
I garden, pick berries, and can. I have enough potatoes, canned tomatoes, salsa, peas, beans, usually corn (unless the racoons get to my crop), beets, onions, peppers, carrots, pickles, and maybe something else I have forgotten, so I only need to buy milk, yogurt, and eggs. I haven’t had to buy eggs the last couple of years because I had my own laying chickens. When I’m in the mood, I make my own bread and buns. I don’t bake much anymore to keep down my cholesterol, but once in a while I whip up a batch of cinnamon buns. My motto is: if it’s in the house, I’ll eat it. So don’t be too careless. Eat what is available, and stretch the dollar.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- A Blank Page: Haiku | 365 days of defiance
- Treasure From The Future & The Daily Prompt | The Jittery Goat
- Is School Useful ? | Knowledge Addiction
- Enough | Daily Prompt: Back on the Chain Gang | likereadingontrains
- Back on the Chain Gang | Life Confusions
- DP Daily Prompt: Back on the Chain Gang | Sabethville
- Picking up the dog’s turds! | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Duty | dandelionsinwind
- Daily Prompt: Daily Chores | The Road Less Travelled By
- Daily Prompt: Back on the Chain Gang- Psychology behind our habit | Journeyman
- Driving Me Crazy | Under the Monkey Tree
- Déjà Vu and the Daily Prompt | My Author-itis
- Fort Lincoln at Point Lookout | Exploratorius
- It’s Laundry Day! | As Twisted as Fretzels
- Daily Prompt: Back on the Chain Gang | Indira’s Blog
- Sheen’s Laments | Flowers and Breezes
- Chain gang | Sue’s Trifles
- Daily Prompt: Back On The Chain Gang | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Back on the Chain Gang « Mama Bear Musings
- S. Thomas Summers: Writing with Some Ink and a Hammer | Duty
- Daily Prompt: Duty | That Montreal Girl
- Daily Prompt: Back on the Chain Gang | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Daily Prompt: Back on the Chain Gang | The Wandering Poet
- Laundry: It’s what’s looming in my life | In For the Ride
- Irresponsible except for everything | Navigate
- Daily Prompt: Back on the Chain Gang | An Ordinary View
- 271. The Office | Barely Right of Center
- That is for example | Mindful Digressions
- Least Favorite Passion – Technical Reports | Ako Si Ehm Blog
- RFPs | Mindful Digressions
- I don’t mind chores! (Total lie – you should see my room) | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Fighting Entropy | Green Embers
- Rite of labour | shame
- Wishy Washy Time | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Five Random Housecleaning Links
- PERMANENT K. P. | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Cooking | Emovere
- The Worst Jobs | Kate Murray
- I Hate Trash Night | theeyelife
- Laundering Clothing | djgarcia94